I have found this blissful dessert all over the middle east. This recipe is adapted from Chef Ana Sortun’s Spice. Try this once and it will be on your regular rotation.
- 3 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 ¼ cups honey
- 1 Tablespoon rosewater
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 baguette, cut to four equal lengths, crust removed
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- Combine the sugar and one cup of water in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and stir in the honey. Simmer for about 18 minutes, until the syrup is light amber (as it just begins to darken).
- Add the lemon and rosewater and stir in.
- Add the bread to the pan, pushing it into the syrup. Baste the bread with syrup until it is saturated.
- Continue to baste for about 30 minutes. Add water if needed to keep the syrup from becoming too thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Cut the bread into 1 to 1 ½ inch squares.
- Plate two pieces of bread, top with one large spoon of mascarpone cheese and sprinkle liberally with pistachios.